Friday, July 5, 2013

Flashback Friday - #121 Dress up as a Mascot

Kiteman - The Big Red Kite Guy

I'm a Sydney Swans fan. For those not from Australia, the Swans are an Australian Rules football team and despite the fairly unintimidating name they're pretty good. But most of all they have an awesome mascot and yep, he's a swan. A big one, and his name is Syd. Syd the Swan. His full name is Syd 'Swannie' Skilton but thats a story for another day.
Syd 'Swannie' Skilton on his Scooter
As a kid (and I know this is a little strange for a little girl), I wanted to be Syd the Swan. I guess its because as a vertically challenged female I was highly unlikely to ever get to play full forward. So was born a strange little dream to one day get to dress up in a giant mascot costume.



Two decades later, returning home from 7 months travelling around Africa and South America, I was lucky enough to work a short contract at an amazing charity called Redkite, an Australian childrens cancer charity.

Redkite provides the very real and practical support to children and teens as well as their families through the cancer journey, including financial assistance, emotional support and educational assistance.

They do an incredible job with no government funding, and even better they are just a fantastic group of people.

Redkite regularly hold family days for the kids and one of the favourites is to go to Taronga Zoo. The Sydney Swans were to host a day, and our team were needed. Despite willing it to be so, Syd was not to make an appearance, but there was still an opportunity for my little dream to become a reality.


Kiteman, the giant red kite person, is a serious job. And it requires, talent. Ok, not so much talent as enthusiasm. And sweat. Kiteman is a sweaty job. And frankly, at 5 foot 1, I reckon I was born to be Kite(wo)man.

So with the help of my trusty sidekicks Jared and Emma, I pulled on silver lycra, giant Kitey shoes, puffy silver gloves and the enormous Red Kite. Now to move.

If I was worried I looked ridiculous, I did. But it turns out that kids love Huge Red Kite people. And we were there for the kids. I felt like Santa!
I'm not waving, I'm stuck.


Little kiddies cuddling my giant shoes, holding my squishy gloves, trying to peek in a see the midget inside the giant red sauna. As it turns out dressing up as a huge Red Kite mascot was better than a 10 year old could imagine. And to make a KiteGirl happy, she even got to meet some Swannies.

Number #121 - tick!!

Work!!

Swannies players

Um... help me out!!







include financial assistance, emotional support and education assistance. - See more at: http://www.redkite.org.au/about-us#sthash.J9oRZB48.dpuf
include financial assistance, emotional support and education assistance. - See more at: http://www.redkite.org.au/about-us#sthash.J9oRZB48.dpuf
include financial assistance, emotional support and education assistance. - See more at: http://www.redkite.org.au/about-us#sthash.J9oRZB48.dpuf

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Please share this blog with your friends!